Friday, March 14, 2014

Research Data Management

I recently reviewed a book for Catholic Library World called Delivering Research Data Management Services: Fundamentals of Good Practice. It was published in 2014 by Facet, and was edited by Graham Pryor, Sarah Jones, and Angus Whyte. (242 pages; available from Amazon for $94.95; ISBN 9780856049337). My review won't be published until June, and I don't want to repeat what's in the review, so I will just say that I found this book to be interesting and informative. It consists of five chapters addressing practical considerations for organizations that want to provide research data services, and five case studies of services provided by Johns Hopkins University, University of Southampton (UK), Monash University (Australia), the UK Data Service, and the Jisc Managing Research Data program.

Graham Pryor had previously edited a collection called Managing Research Data (Facet, 2012. 239 pages, ISBN 9781856047562.) It is more of an introduction to this topic, and addresses why research data needs to be managed, the lifecycle of data management, research data policies, planning, roles and responsibilities, and more. I've added this book to my reading list as well as another that I think will also be useful:



Joyce M. Ray. Research Data Management: Practical Strategies for Information Professionals. Purdue University Press, 2014. 300 pages. ISBN 9781557536648.

I'll be looking into the journal literature a little later.


No comments:

Post a Comment