Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cart's Top 200: Adult Books for Young Adults by Michael Cart


Cart’s Top 200: Adult Books for Young Adults, Two Decades in Review, by Michael Cart. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2013. 126 pages. ISBN 9780838911587
 
I've been a big fan of young adult books ever since I took a class on Young Adult Resources when I was in library school. The class was taught by Mary K. Biagini, one of the most enthusiastic and energetic of my library school professors. I remember one of our assignments was to read one book each by three authors who were at that time the most popular adult novelists for young adults. The three authors were Stephen King, V.C. Andrews, and Danielle Steel. I read The Shining (very good), Flowers in the Attic (OK), and Changes by Danielle Steel (not so great). I can't believe that I remember that!
 
Cart's Top 200 is an effort by Michael Cart to collect the top books that he believes would most appeal to young adults. Librarians can use his list to evaluate their collections, purchase books that would enhance the collections, and promote these books that appeal to the YA crowd. This book would be appropriate for any librarian managing a YA collection, whether in a school or public library. It's also a great reference for anyone interested in good fiction and non-fiction. If you're a big fan of lists, like me, you will enjoy going through and checking off the books you've already read and others you would like to read! Not that I need more to add to my pile of books to read...

No comments:

Post a Comment